A recent story on the news was that 1 in 2 Canadians will get cancer. These won’t all be lethal cases but it’s still something nobody wants to get. The good news in the story is that there is ample evidence that 1/3 to 1/2 of most cancer can be avoided through lifestyle choices, namely being active, eating healthy, and avoiding smoking and alcohol.
What if you’re starting from zero? What easy and effective choices can you start making today that will make a difference in your life? Among my friends, we call it NEWSTART:
- Nutrition – preferably plant based, whole foods, but definitely avoiding highly processed junk foods and meats.
- Exercise – you don’t have to be a superhuman athlete, just get moving. Take a walk, go for a swim, do some yoga. Make it fun and keep it simple.
- Water – not gallons a day but water rather instead of processed, sugar and/or alcoholic drinks.
- Sunshine – it’s good for most people.
- Temperance – enjoy life in moderation.
- Air – get fresh air outdoors but can also apply to healthy breathing. Sitting in a chair, scrunched up all day, isn’t healthy breathing.
- Rest – rest helps us be wholehearted and resilient. Learn and practice good sleep hygiene.
- Trust – nurturing your spiritual self and releasing worry.
8 points to focus on for sure.